An LDS perspective on moving from childless to childfree living.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Purpose

Have any of you had a hard time with finding a purpose for life when you become CF?  I am facing that right now.  For the last six years, I have worked in a job where I was an advocate for students and teachers.  That job ended last week and I am feeling a little lost.  I felt my purpose was to help create laws and policies that help students learn and teachers teach.  Now that I will not be advocating any longer in a formal role, I am trying to figure out how I can continue to do so. 

So many people find their purpose in parenting.  That can't be my purpose since we are not parents.  The word "children" appears 19 times in my Patriarchal blessing.  I thought that meant being a mom.  I have been a teacher for 23 years, so that could refer to all of the children I have influenced as a teacher. 

I have chosen to transfer to a different school for next year.  I will be teaching in a low-income, highly-transient school.  I think my purpose now is to be the great, experienced teacher the kids at this school need.

On a related note, DH and I are in a place where we don't really have anything left to look forward to.  We both have great careers, a nice home, and the funds to purchase or do what we want to do.  This has a side effect of our not having any more goals. 

I had to put this in writing, but I'm not sure it has really cleared my head on it.  I have spent some time crying and praying, trying to figure out what is next.  I will proceed and see how things go.

1 comment:

  1. I think your purpose to be the great, experienced teacher kids at your new school need is an excellent one. On top of that, I think you're modelling that you don't need to be a mother to be a caring woman, with a connection to children. That's a significant and important role.

    I can understand that you're feeling a little listless. I know that feeling too. You might prompt me to write something on that.

    In the meantime, I wrote this a while ago. The comments are worth reading too - you're not alone. Hugs. http://nokiddinginnz.blogspot.co.nz/2015/07/the-next-big-thing.html

    ReplyDelete