An LDS perspective on moving from childless to childfree living.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

A Funeral and A Wedding

In the last week, we attended the funeral of my uncle and the wedding of DH's niece.  Both of these events bring out thoughts on being childfree.

My uncle never married nor had children.  He died young from cirrhosis of the liver.  He was not active LDS, but he did appreciate good music, and I had the opportunity to play the piano for the funeral.  My mom and her other brother had to make all of these arrangements.  My mom and my sister have been cleaning out his apartment.  He left no will and did not have enough money for his final services.

I have thought a lot about this.  I am most grateful that I have DH.  He is my rock!  After all he has been through, his love and friendship is so important to me.  Because of his leukemia, we have all of the final documents and preparations done.  We have money set aside for those services.  We have outlined who of our nieces and nephews will receive certain items and what we want done with the rest.  We have a trust so as to avoid probate. I feel we are more prepared than my uncle was, but only because we made those preparations 11 years ago when we thought DH was going to die.

Oquirrh Mountain Utah Mormon Temple

A wedding of someone in the next generation just means there is a greater chance of my becoming a great-aunt sooner rather than later.  I just don't know how I will react to that!  The sealing ceremony in the Oquirrh Mountain Temple was beautiful, and DH's niece and her new husband looked so happy.  They will be good for each other.  This time was different than when another niece got married two years ago and when my cousin got married last year.  Then, "multiply and replenish the earth" hurt to hear.  I enjoyed the ceremony, because it brought to mind when DH and I were married 18 years ago.  This time I remembered the excitement, love, and joy from our sealing!

I have to be grateful for where DH and I are on our CF journey.  In the past year and a half, I feel we have made great strides toward acceptance and even enjoyment of living CF.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I have a confession. I'm a great-aunt. I teased my (older) sister about being a grandmother, and her retort was that it was better than being a great-aunt. I still disagree! And I'm glad that you feel you have made progress towards acceptance and enjoying your no kidding life. Cheers for you!

    ReplyDelete