An LDS perspective on moving from childless to childfree living.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day

Sunday was my first Mother's Day in the officially childfree group.  Because living childfree is still so new, I was still trying to protect myself.  I shopped early for my mom and MIL.  We did not go to church.  I was so grateful that not one person wished me a Happy Mother's Day.  Not the staff at the restaurant where my sister, her boyfriend, DH and I took my mom for brunch, not anyone in the family.  I guess I was grateful, because then I didn't have to respond.

I did share with my mom and SIL that our adoption file is now closed.  They were both understanding.  I was concerned my mom would be upset, because my brother and SIL and their four kids live out of state, so she doesn't have any grandchildren nearby.  She wasn't upset with me, just with my brother for not living closer.  My SIL said she could see how we would need to have an end to the emotional roller coaster.

While shopping for cards, I looked to see if there were any type of cards that would fit me.  The only one I found was for an aunt.  I have 14 nieces and nephews, and maybe someday, one of them will give me an aunt card for Mother's Day.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Jen,
    I am happy to have found your blog!
    lots of love from sLOVEnia,
    Klara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Klara,

      I have been following your blog for quite some time. I have appreciated much of what you have said. You gave me courage to start my own blog!

      Jen

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. My husband and I are also childfree due to infertility. It is very isolating sometimes being in the lds community and not having children, so I appreciate your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will follow my blog. I am starting with my story so readers will have the background of where we came from. I will be going into more detail on living childfree in the LDS community as the blog progresses.

      Jen

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for starting this blog - I got your link from resolve!
    I, too, have wished that maybe someday one of my nieces or nephews would give me an "aunt" card on Mother's Day. It seems like a silly small thing, but it would be so nice!
    I am looking forward to more of your blog posts - thanks for sharing your story - it sounds very similar to mine - also having years of failed ART and a failed adoption. We are also trying to adapt to child free living. Although I am not LDS, I am in a very conservative Christian church - well, I guess I could say was, because we recently moved to a small group that worships in a home, partially because of how difficult it is to be childless in that environment. Now we worship with a group of people whose children are all grown, but it's much easier and they are all understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A.J. -- I recognize you from the Inspire BB. I'm so glad you would come check out my blog. I hope we will be able to chat more as we both make the transition to CF living.
      Jen

      Delete